D19311: Add navigation history to forward/back buttons

David Hallas noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Sep 6 09:50:19 BST 2019

hallas added a comment.

  In D19311#526124 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19311#526124>, @ngraham wrote:

  > At this point I'm inclined to say that we should go forward with the patch regardless of widget changes, because otherwise it's gonna be stuck in patch review limbo forever.
  >
  > Can you make the menu show up on press-and-hold without showing any arrow on the buttons without widget changes? That's probably the simplest path forward until we sort out the appearance issue. Better to temporarily make it semi-hidden than never getting it landed. :)

  @ngraham  - I have been experimenting a bit, and here are my findings:

  Essentially we only have the delayed and the stickyMenu attribute we can change (and they are both boolean), here is a list of all the combinations and how they appear and behave:

  delayed - true
  stickyMenu - false
  Arrows shown in lower right corner but not clickable
  Delayed menu

  delayed - false
  stickyMenu - false
  Arrows not shown
  Instant menu

  delayed - false
  stickyMenu - true
  Arrows not shown
  Instant menu

  delayed - true
  stickyMenu - true
  Arrows shown on the right and displays the dropdown menu when clicked
  Instant menu show if the dropdown arrow is clicked

  Delayed menu means that if you just click the button it navigates and doesn't show the menu (the same behavior as today), but if you click and hold, the dropdown menu is shown.
  Instant menu means that the dropdown menu is shown when you click the button, so you have to select a menu entry to navigate.

  If we don't want the arrow to appear then we would always get the dropdown menu, which in my view is not a good solution since it changes the existing behavior of the navigation buttons. That leaves us with two options, either the arrow in the lower right corner and the dropdown menu being shown if you click and hold, or a larger arrow shown to the right that shows the menu when you click the arrow. Personally I prefer the first solution since that most closely resemble how most browsers work today, also with the second solution you have to click the arrow, which is fairly small, to get the dropdown menu, so I don't think it is super user-friendly.

  So, @ngraham  - maybe you should pull the patch and play around with the options to see which one you think works best?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin