D25335: [Details mode] Allow to fill the column size of directories with actual size

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Nov 21 18:28:44 GMT 2019

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  I gave this a try today. The performance is quite good and the feature works great! It will be very nice to have, even without any caching (though that is probably necessary IMO to improve the display and performance and to minimize disk wear for SSDs in particular). I have a few concerns and suggestions for improvement:

  1. The UI to turn this on is entirely too technical. It should be more like this:

    Folder size display: (o) Number of items
                         ( ) Size of contents
                             [4] Levels deep

  I'm still not fond of exposing the maximum level of recursion in the UI, but if this is absolutely necessary, that's how it should be presented IMO.

  2. After turning on the feature, size values are not updated in the UI until you refresh the view or navigate elsewhere and return.

  3. When this feature is on, the number of items still appears in the size column, even though it's no longer the sort criteria: F7777384: Screenshot_20191121_112504.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7777384>

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin