D25335: [Details mode] Allow to fill the column size of directories with actual size

Méven Car noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Nov 16 15:22:35 GMT 2019

meven added a comment.

  In D25335#563263 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25335#563263>, @ngraham wrote:

  > This is a feature I've wanted for ages, so I'm very excited to see a patch that implements it!
  >
  > In terms of the UI, this shouldn't only be for Details view; it's possible to view sizes in icon view too, by adding the size metadata item below the filename.

  I plan to work on the information panel and status bar to get the same information.
  I would be in favor of keeping the icon view simple and let the user use the information panel for column and icon view use cases.

  > Also, I'm not too keen on that "maximum level of recursion" chooser. It seems like exposing the internal details to work around performance issues that we should try to solve instead.

  For sure it is not ideal, but the solution to those problems (like caching see below) are nowhere near.
  And performance will affect differently users depending if they have fast or slow drives, so better give the user some control.
  We could simplify this input or try to set a better default depending on kind of drive for instance.
  But IMO this currently solves the needs of intermediate to power users as-is.
  And we could as well improve on it later.

  > If the size computation happens in another thread, then there's no problem of slowing down the UI, right?

  There is still a sensible impact on performance, because UI is not affected, but I/O is impacted, meaning other threads or processes accessing the filesystem can be slown down during this process.
  Unless we have efficient caching of course to mitigate this.

  > Also, is this data cached at all?

  Currently this data is not cached, I may work on that, but I don't know much about caching in dolphin UI yet.
  This would be an improvement area.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin