D19311: Add navigation history to forward/back buttons

David Hallas noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Mar 17 17:05:08 GMT 2019

hallas added a comment.

  In D19311#432597 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19311#432597>, @david.fontanals wrote:

  > Hi there,
  >  I just wanted to point out that Falkon, a KDE application, already implements this with a kind of buttons very similar (if not the same) to the ones Dolphin uses:
  >  F6697896: Screenshot_20190317_115335.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6697896>F6697898: Screenshot_20190317_115237.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6697898>
  >  If it may be of any help, I believe the behaviour of these buttons is defined in https://cgit.kde.org/falkon.git/tree/src/lib/navigation/navigationbar.cpp. Falkon's drop-down history is compatible with both long click and right click.
  >
  > If you ask me, adding a visual hint to let the user know there is a drop-down menu avaiable is unnecessary. In my honest opinion, any user who expects Dolphin to offer a navigation history will attempt right-clicking or holding one of these buttons. The only reason why they wouldn't try is because they already tried it in previous versions of Dolphin to no success, not because it's not intuitive. Thus I would find it a better idea to reach the userbase and inform them instead of having us to deal with unsightly or obtrusive dropdown arrows.
  >
  > Also, thank you David Hallas for taking the lead in adding this feature.

  Hi @david.fontanals thanks for the pointers, I will take a look at the code for reference :)

  @ngraham - what do you think? Should I go ahead and see if I can tweak the Breeze theme to paint the arrow indicator in the way you suggested, or should we go with the Falkon way? Do we have any other references/sources we can draw feedback from? From my testing I can see that Chrome doesn't draw any indication on the navigation buttons indicating there is a drop down menu available - the same goes for Firefox.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin