D22050: Port from phonon to qtmultimedia

Méven Car noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 1 11:32:15 BST 2019

meven added a comment.

  In D22050#485883 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22050#485883>, @sitter wrote:

  > In D22050#485483 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22050#485483>, @meven wrote:
  >
  > > I would be curious about opinions of phonon maintainers/commiters, perhaps I make wrong assumptions here.
  >

  > What bugs are there?

  The main bug affecting my work is that when a player playback is paused, the content of the video widget turns to black (no image just a black rectangle).
  I believe dragon player had the same bug, but it does not have it anymore. There could be a workaround I don't know.

  I have opened two reviews D22183 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22183> and D22051 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22051>, allowing to click the reviews or video player to play or pause the media.
  The first uses phonon and demonstrates this bug, while the later one uses qt multimedia and does not present the bug.

  Another smaller bug, is that when buffering the slider moves a little before going back to the 0 position once the video is loaded.
  This results in some flickering.
  The same kind of flickering in the slider happens when the video is played again when it was paused before.

  > phonon vlc has 8 open bugs and none of them should affect dolphin.

  I have tested phonon-vlc engine in dolphin and indeed it seems ok (on the play/pause front), although the performance is not better than phonon-gstreamer which is what I would have hoped to achieve with phonon-vlc.

  BTW on the same video played in vlc or dolphin, I have a 10x CPU usage difference between the two, with either phonon-vlc or phonon-gstreamer or qt multimedia for that matter. Totem video player that uses gstreamer has even worth decoding performance on my system.

  And phonon-vlc presents the same slider flickering when buffering and when unpausing playback. It could be a phonon bug rather than one of its engines.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin