T10262: Integrate KIO Slaves into file system using FUSE gateway

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jan 5 07:30:40 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  What GNOME does is the first time you navigate to a share in Nautilus, it becomes visibly mounted (with an unmount button and everything)  in their Places Panel equivalent. However, the mount is only used for non-GNOME apps that don't use GIO. GIO-using GNOME apps access it directly with the GIO equivalent of KIO's `smb://share/url/` syntax, which is asynchronous like KIO is. Only 3rd-party apps use the mount and are vulnerable to hangs.

  I don't know how this is implemented technically, but it's quite clever. If we do something similar, that would limit the possibility of hangs to 3rd-party apps, and keep the quality and responsiveness of KDE software from degrading as a part of this effort.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10262