D18878: Force NT1 protocol when listing smb:// network

Mikhail Novosyolov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Feb 11 16:51:57 GMT 2019

mikhailnov added a comment.

  In D18878#409822 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18878#409822>, @sitter wrote:

  > https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/
  >
  > I cannot approve this. It is opening potential security issues, overrides sysadmin configs, diverges from sound upstream defaults, goes against advise and practises set forth by Microsoft, continues to avoid moving away from a deprecated 30 year old protocol.

  Those who want highest security desiable smb1 on server side, not client. Also, don't forget about some old versions of Windows or proprietary NAS. Please llet users decide themselves, what is more important for them.
  We don't use SMB1 to connect in this patch, we use it _only_ for listing smb://. If you do

    smbclient -L localhost

  you will see:

    Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.

  But only smbclient command line utility does it, not libsmbclient.so.0, that's why this patch is needed.

  In D18878#409931 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18878#409931>, @sitter wrote:

  > No. This is already unnecessary. If a user requires SMB1 it may be tuned via /etc/samba/smb.conf.
  >  And that tuning would never be necessary if we had ws-discovery support I think... there is no Windows version which doesn't have ws-discovery and (all?) non-windows systems have DNSSD implementations available. So, between ws-discovery and dnssd pretty much all systems would be supported.
  >
  > Edit: ...with any possible remainder being up to drop down to SMB1 if the system admin finds that necessary

  I've made this patch mainly to discover Linux machines in the network, and Samba has no implementation of ws-discovery. External not common software like wsdd https://github.com/christgau/wsdd/ has to be installed (and not properly tested network daemons may be a securitry risk without propper isolation like chroot).

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras