D8208: [WIP] Add Duplicate feature

Elvis Angelaccio noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Dec 28 17:56:00 GMT 2019

elvisangelaccio added a comment.

  In D8208#155926 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D8208#155926>, @elvisangelaccio wrote:

  > If the main/classic method of copying doesn't work well with many files, imho we should find a way to fix that. So that the use case would be ok for everyone, not just those who have the menubar visible or know the CTRL+D shortcut.

  Expanding on this: I'd prefer a "smarter" copy-paste that automatically includes this duplicate feature, i.e. when original and copied file are in the same directory. This way we don't need to add a new shortcut (which the users will need to learn) and, assuming it will be implemented in KIO, all KIO users will get this feature for free.

  In D8208#156036 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D8208#156036>, @cfeck wrote:

  > Why would you need two identical copies of the same file in the same folder? I would imagine that people move the duplicate to a different location (usually to a different physical device) afterwards, and they might not understand the difference to a copy that is created at the new location directly. This is especially bad if the source is on SSD. Every unneeded write to SSD should be avoided.
  >
  > TLDR; add a warning that people can hide forever if they understand the consequences.

  This is a very good point that should be addressed.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin