D23075: Change default Dolphin toolbar layout

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 12 14:22:20 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D23075#510723 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510723>, @felixernst wrote:

  > I think this example is a very specific occurence for technical users. Most will imo be happy to just have the preview turned on without the need to change that because:
  >
  > - Previews for text files are turned off by default
  > - File types have a lot of meaning for us whereas most don't care if they open an .odt or .doc file
  > - Browsing files where a preview is useless and the file type helps a lot in differentiating is (probably) a rare occurence (.h/.cpp). If there are a bunch of .odt and .doc files in a folder then the preview is more relevant than what type there is. So I think we should remove the preview button by default.

  Agreed. As a supplementary thing, perhaps we could have text file previews stop displaying for small sizes, as they become unreadable and are truly useless. But other preview types that show predominatatel visual content are always useful, even at small sizes:
  F7205876: Screenshot_20190812_072136.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7205876>

  Either way, material for another patch. :)