D23075: Change default Dolphin toolbar layout

Felix Ernst noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 12 11:50:51 BST 2019

felixernst added a comment.

  In D23075#510653 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510653>, @ndavis wrote:

  > In D23075#510484 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510484>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > [Previews] are enabled by default.
  >

  > Ok. If we're not going to have a button to enable/disable them by default, we should disable previews for documents under a certain size. Maybe =< 32px or =< 22px?
  >
  > This is not very nice to look at F7205262: Screenshot_20190811_215241.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7205262>
  >
  > ... compared to this
  >
  > F7205264: Screenshot_20190811_215327.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7205264>

  I think this example is a very specific occurence for technical users. Most will imo be happy to just have the preview turned on without the need to change that because:

  - Previews for text files are turned off by default
  - File types have a lot of meaning for us whereas most don't care if they open an .odt or .doc file
  - Browsing files where a preview is useless and the file type helps a lot in differentiating is (probably) a rare occurence (.h/.cpp). If there are a bunch of .odt and .doc files in a folder then the preview is more relevant than what type there is.

  So I think we should remove the preview button by default.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin