D23075: Change default Dolphin toolbar layout

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 12 09:37:24 BST 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D23075#510680 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510680>, @GB_2 wrote:

  > In D23075#510675 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510675>, @ndavis wrote:
  >
  > > In D23075#510674 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510674>, @GB_2 wrote:
  > >
  > > > F7205476: Changed Dolphin Toolbar.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7205476>
  > > >  F7205478: Changed Dolphin Toolbar Without Menu Button.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7205478>
  > > >
  > > > Is this better?
  > >

  > > I think the view mode buttons should be replaced by the single View Mode menu button. Unlabelled icons are a bad idea unless the symbol is very common and very distinct. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to understand the compact mode and icon mode icons without looking at the tooltip.
  > >
  > > I think the Sort By button should also be on the left.
  > >
  > > If a Create New button is also added after more discussion, I think it should also be on the left.
  >

  > Did you read my comments about the view mode button?

  No, I missed them, but now I've seen them.

  In D23075#510016 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23075#510016>, @GB_2 wrote:

  > I think having 3 icon only buttons is still more efficient, you need one less click to change the view mode. This is also how other file managers have it.

  Yes, once you have the muscle memory, 3 buttons is more efficient. Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine that I'm getting hung up on, but I hate having to read a tooltip when I'm not 100% sure what an icon means before I click the button. BTW, Windows 10 doesn't show icon-only view mode buttons <https://www.zerodollartips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/windows-10-file-explorer.jpg>, although File Explorer is by no means a good standard for UI design. MacOS has 4 icon-only view mode buttons <https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/macos/Mojave/macos-mojave-finder-gallery-view.jpg> (ew) and GNOME has 1 <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Files?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=general.png> that seems to flip between the thumbnail and list modes

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin