D12918: Add filmstrip embed configuration

Thomas Carmichael noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat May 26 14:31:32 BST 2018

tcarmichael added a comment.

  In D12918#268644 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12918#268644>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Your next patch for this repo can be a .arcconfig file. :)

  I'll try look into that although I'm very new to the workflow for contributing to KDE so it may take me a bit to understand how it all works! This was built from me cloning the `anongit` repository so I haven't used `arc` yet.

  > Is this patch in response to a Bugzilla ticket?

  No, this is a personal preference that I was patching in, or more specifically, I was originally patching out the filmstrip generating code (commenting the filmstrip generating line where the settings load/check is now) and building manually, but I thought it might be something others would like to have the option for after seeing some posts of people wondering how to remove the effect.

  I felt that the best approach was actually to enable a configuration option and looked at the code for the Gettext thumbnailer and the JPEG Images thumbnailer that both can be configured. I essentially copied the code and rewrote the function names from the JPEG thumbnailer (`jpegcreator`). I will admit up front that I don't actually know much C++ at all, but I ran through the errors that I got as I put this together and ensured the test compiled as well.

  > This isn't a setting I would ever use, but it's pretty well hidden away, so I think it's benign enough and could even fit under the "Powerful when needed" umbrella.

  It does seem like it's a bit of a niche preference, but it also seemed like it would be worth adding in. I also did specifically want to ensure that I wasn't changing default behavior as well so users will only see a change if they go and disable the default setting to embed the filmstrip effect.

REPOSITORY
  R343 FFmpeg Thumbnailers