D12983: (icon view) Text width relative to icon size

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 22 14:05:38 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In the abstract, I think this makes sense, but in testing, I ran into two issues:

  - This has the effect of making the default label width/grid spacing significantly narrower
  - Because the label width doesn't take into account the font size (current as well as with your patch), people who increase the standard font size to 11 or even 12 pt are going to be irritated that their labels are narrower than they used to be. Crank it up to 15 and the result is... interesting.

  For item #2, adding the font metrics into the calculation should suffice. For Item #1, Perhaps we should normalize the new calculation such that it's roughly the same or only slightly smaller for the standard Medium label width. I don't see a lot of user complaining that the grid is too loose right now.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin