D12795: Re-allow running Dolphin as the root user (but still not using sudo)

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 20 21:18:14 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12795#265648 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12795#265648>, @graesslin wrote:

  > Actually I find it an interesting discussion going far further than Dolphin. If we can raise more awareness for security issues through such discussions, that's good. For example it just motivated D13008 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13008>

  In that patch, your reasoning for prohibit running KWin as root is that "We cannot guarantee that running KWin as root is secure". <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13008>

  In the discussion here, you said that "new vulnerabilities are discovered each and every day" <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12795#265648>. That means we can't guarantee security anywhere either.

  Ergo, by your reasoning, we should prohibit running all software because we can't guarantee that it's secure.

  I'm sure that this isn't what you meant and that I must be misinterpreting you (it happens all the time!). Can you point out the flaw in my logic so I can understand your actual position?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin