D12795: Re-allow running Dolphin as the root user (but still not using sudo)

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 20 20:26:43 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12795#265619 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12795#265619>, @graesslin wrote:

  > Unfortunately drive-by downloads are a common thing for browsers. It does not have much to do with security fixes in browsers. It's more of a common thing.

  On the contrary, drive-by-downloads are a major concern for browser vendors to fix. If someone reports one to them, they're //very motivated to fix it. Was the exploit that you used ever reported?

  In D12795#265619 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12795#265619>, @graesslin wrote:

  > Now to get this into a running binary all you need is to exploit any vulnerability in a file parser running automatically (in our case that would be baloo). Doing that: trivial. Once you have some code running everything is simple. The complete session is unprotected. You get into autostart, etc. etc.

  OK, so let's harden Baloo! An excellent plan. With your security skills, would yo like to help out with the code review on D8532 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D8532>?

  This is exactly what Linus Torvalds is talking about in https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/21/356. Simply blocking the access is the easy, lazy way out that doesn't actually provide much real security (if we push our users to instead use other file managers as root or sudo, we haven't really gained any security). The //real// way to secure things is to attack things closer to the source: harden the browsers, sandbox `baloo_file_extractor`, etc. Since you care so much about our security, would you like to help out with those?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin