D12795: Re-allow running Dolphin as the root user (but still not using sudo)

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 20 18:52:33 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Martin, listening to our users isn't being bullied. If we make a change that upsets our users, that's a really good sign that we might want to reconsider it. Angering our users is completely contrary to the reason why we're doing this in the first place. If we anger our users and drive some of them away, what's the point? We should not dig in our heels and double down; we should instead //listen//. This is what I have tried to do when I encounter this user anger. When I listen, what I hear is two legitimate points:

  - "You broke my workflow using `sudo dolphin` to edit root-owned files."
  - "You broke my use of a root GUI session in $DISTRO."

  For the first point, I tell that PolKit support in KIO  is coming, end encourage patience. For the second point, I have no answer. This patch attempts to remedy that situation.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin