D12795: Re-allow running Dolphin as the root user (but still not using sudo)

Martin Flöser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 20 18:26:06 BST 2018

graesslin added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> ngraham wrote in main.cpp:47
> Determined people will always get around security measures that annoy them. How would you suggest that we re-enable running Dolphin as the actual root user so that we can un-break people for whom this is important or necessary>

Honestly I don't think we need to support that. If a user really wants that they can patch dolphin. We don't have to support every user wish. If I would have supported every user wish KWin would be an unmaintainable monster.

Also I think it's a really stupid idea to run the session as root. Yes users might do that but we are not obliged to support their crazy ideas. (That reminds me: I need to patch kwin_wayland to disallow running as root)

Security and usability are always in direct competition to each user. Sometimes it's important to lean more towards security and sometimes it's important to go more towards usability. The usability gain here is rather low while at the same time it's a security risk. The improvement you suggest here only benefits a very small subset of our user group (most distros just don't allow logging in as root anyway). Given that I would say that this is a case that the benefits for security are more important than the benefits for usability.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin