D12732: Implement a more user-friendly run-as-root-or-sudo behavior

Elvis Angelaccio noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon May 7 20:37:42 BST 2018

elvisangelaccio added a comment.

  I don't think this is a good idea. There is a reason we have that check there, and it must be the very first thing done in `main()`. Showing a fancy warning message in the dolphin view would be too late (see Martin's exploit <https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/graesslin/exploit-dophin-root-x11.git/tree/exploit.cpp>).

  I know the current situation is not ideal (given that kio is not polkit-ready yet - we are almost there though!). But we shouldn't leave the door open to a clear vulnerability that could affect every dolphin user.

  What we //can// do is a build-time switch in cmake, so that if someone (or some distro) wants to remove the root check, they can do easily do so without patching the code.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin