D11733: Allow opening items from the open/save dialogs

gregormi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 30 12:41:05 BST 2018

gregormi added a comment.

  In D11733#235208 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11733#235208>, @rkflx wrote:

  > and the bug reporter's use case of selecting a file in a web browser for upload essentially wants the existing [F11] preview feature and perhaps a better preview feature in the web application itself.

  The inline preview only gives thumbnails which are not usable when one wants to read text on the image (zoom to 100%). For me, the preview should take place before it is uploaded to the web application because I want to make sure the right thing is uploaded.

  > Also note that you could just drag-and-drop the file onto Dolphin, which should then open the default app, or onto Gwenview's launcher etc.

  Interesting. Thanks for the hint.

  > My concern is that the naming as well as the concept itself clashes with the regular Open button while doing something different.

  +1. If the function is added, it should be named Open with... to not be confused with the Open button.

  > Maybe I'll change my mind if you can come up with a very compelling use case which is so great it's worth living with the disadvantages. For now my (i.e. take this with a grain of salt) recommendation would be to not add this.

  I come from Windows where the Open item is also available. Not having it feels like a lack of flexibility. I think having it in the context menu will not affect the "normal" user.  Your proposed workaround with "Open containing Folder" -> Press Enter is certainly ok.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO