D11733: Allow opening items from the open/save dialogs

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 27 12:20:29 BST 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  TBH I'm not convinced that's something which should be added. That's a pretty weird workflow in general, and the bug reporter's use case of selecting a file in a web browser for upload essentially wants the existing [F11] preview feature and perhaps a better preview feature in the web application itself. Also note that you could just drag-and-drop the file onto Dolphin, which should then open the default app, or onto Gwenview's launcher etc.

  My concern is that the naming as well as the concept itself clashes with the regular Open button while doing something different. Also, this recursive opening thing has all sorts of issues. Instead of cluttering the context menu with more entries, going the extra step via Open Containing Folder is good enough IMO.

  Maybe I'll change my mind if you can come up with a very compelling use case which is so great it's worth living with the disadvantages. For now my (i.e. take this with a grain of salt) recommendation would be to not add this.

  ---

  Instead of adding Open buttons everywhere, a more elegant and generic approach would perhaps be to tackle this from a Plasma angle: Currently we have KRunner for typing things and Klipper's actions for (automatically) acting on content added to the clipboard. I could imagine a dynamically opening Plasmoid tailored for drag-and-drop operations could complement this nicely, e.g. upon initiating a drag operation it could present various drop targets like opening in apps, deletion, quick-preview, adding to the stash, tagging, user-configurable scripts, access to Dolphin's mimetype-specific actions etc.

  Another (less exciting) idea would be to add what this patch does to the preview itself, which currently has no buttons and no context menu.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO