D11324: Select files instead of opening them when trying to open a QUrl as a directory when in fact it is a file.

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 17 23:04:16 GMT 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In D11324#226878 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11324#226878>, @emateli wrote:

  > In D11324#226859 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11324#226859>, @elvisangelaccio wrote:
  >
  > > I don't understand, this is a feature. Why would we want to remove it? If you want to select the file you can use `--select`, no?
  >

  > Sure you can use `--select`, but this is for those instances where a file was passed but not the `--select` parameter, which may happen say when dropping stuff onto dolphin's icon or typing a file name in the kurlnavigator instead of a directory.
  >
  > What feature am I missing here? That passing a file as a parameter to Dolphin will open the file using its default program and navigate to some non existing directory?

  @elvisangelaccio I think Emirald has a point here. What you refer to is perhaps better served by `xdg-open`, meaning that `--select` might ideally be only really relevant for folders in Dolphin's case.

  I'm aware that `dolphin -h` outputs this:

    Arguments:
      +[Url]                     Document to open

  However, for me this makes sense only for folders and zip files (i.e. "compressed folders"). Or am I missing a use case here?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin

BRANCH
  select-open-file