D10698: Adds a new RenameDialog to Dolphin with more options for batch renaming

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 17 03:23:04 GMT 2018

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  This is very nice. I think with a bunch of UI polish, it will become a much-beloved feature. To get there, allow me to share some UI suggestions and comments:

  - Don't make the items in the table view selectable. It doesn't have any effect, so it's not necessary.
  - The table view needs better headers. Instead of "1" and "2", how about something more like "Current names" and "New names"
  - I don't like that the bottom buttons aren't aligned to the bottom of the window. I understand that it's to make room for some text under them, but maybe we can find a better way to display that. KMessageWidgets are often a good fit for this kind of inline semi-transient notification.
  - Instead of making users click on a Preview button, is there any chance we can preview in real time as you type?
  - I don't think we need a Close button on the bottom here; the window already has a close button in the titlebar.
  - What's the difference between `#name` and `#bname`? Along with `#ext` these terms seem excessively jargonistic.
  - I couldn't figure out what New name from matches actually did without reading the description you write in this revision. Since it requires the use of regular expressions, I think that detail needs to be mentioned somewhere (and maybe hidden a bit better, since that makes it a //very// advanced feature). Also, since the Find & Replace tab already does regex matching, could we find a way to collapse New name from matches into that tab?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin