D12732: Show a warning when running as the root user

Elvis Angelaccio noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jun 1 22:31:59 BST 2018

elvisangelaccio accepted this revision as: elvisangelaccio.
elvisangelaccio added a comment.

  In D12732#259772 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12732#259772>, @markg wrote:

  > Please do enlighten us with "all sort of problems" as i know none.

  `sudo dolphin` is just unusable due to broken style (you have to use `kdesu`). Also there were a couple of root-only bugs (e.g. random klauncher files created in the `/` folder), but it might be they have been fixed.

  > I was looking over the exploit code and thought the same. Any app with a terminal would have this "potential issue".

  Yes. That's why also Kate was patched.

  > But when can this issue be abused?
  >  I can only think of one hypothetical case. A multi-seat environment where one of the seats is running as root where a non-root seat could then exploit that root seat. I say hypothetical because i have no idea if that really works.
  >  But even if it would works, i'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of KDE installations is single-seat only. One computer with one KDE session. Even much of those installed in corporate environments likely have a single desktop per seat.
  >  For what is this protection then?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin

BRANCH
  more-user-friendly-sudo-and-root-usage-behavior (branched from master)