D9826: [dolphin] Let users search everywhere

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jan 11 20:59:56 GMT 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9826#189576, @michaelh wrote:

  > We don't need an extra button to search home. If you want to search home. Go to home and search from there.

  I have to disagree. Providing a facility to search all of ~ without having to first navigate there is useful. If we remove this functionality and require that users first navigate to ~ before initiating their search, I //guarantee// that it will confuse people and we will get bug reports about it.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9826#189576, @michaelh wrote:

  > > I think wanting to use a GUI search tool to look through all of / actually is fairly rare
  >
  > For experienced users. But newbies who don't know where to look for logs or config files and don't know what to expect...?
  >  I, at least was hit by this and it confused me.

  Newbies don't go looking for log files or config files. :-) People who are technically proficient but new to KDE (like you?) know how to use `find` and can easily pick up `baloosearch`. If we do add a way to search /, we have to make sure it doesn't remove existing functionality, and also that it works properly, per what @elvisangelaccio mentioned.

  > @ngraham/VDG: I think the filesearch box needs to be changed. Please tell me a place where we can discuss my observations.

  https://t.me/vdgmainroom

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin