D10804: Show "Empty trash" button inside trash directory

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Feb 26 00:48:54 GMT 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In D10804#214044 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10804#214044>, @ngraham wrote:

  > The toolbar approach presents a challenge: what do we do when the toolbar is already full, or the window is narrow? Letting the Empty Trash button get kicked into the "more toolbar buttons" menu would not be satisfactory, as users would miss it, defeating the purpose of adding the button in the first place.

  My idea was that in the default config there is enough space, and if users add too many buttons its their job to make a decision which ones are important to them. Still, you may have a point for different languages with longer texts.

  > In macOS Finder, they add a bar underneath the main toolbar just like in this patch. But it's not very tall and it's styled distinctively. I think it works quite well:
  >
  > F5730124: Ro3vE.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5730124>

  For the main view there are only the top and bottom spots available to attach bars to, because stacked toolbars are a nightmare (I'm not talking about the full-width main toolbar). We have the URL bar at the top (macOS: trash bar) and the status bar at the bottom (macOS: URL bar), therefore we should not add an additional bar.

  New idea: Add Empty Trash next to the URL bar. There should be plenty of space now, because "Trash:" will never grow. Also it would look quite similar to macOS if URL bar editing isn't active.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin