D10698: Adds a new RenameDialog to Dolphin with more options for batch renaming

Emirald Mateli noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Apr 27 12:06:13 BST 2018

emateli added a comment.

  In D10698#253974 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10698#253974>, @ngraham wrote:

  > This is so nice, and getting nicer all the time. Here's an idea for Capture Groups: we could add a little piece of explanatory text to the window to help people make sense of what they're seeing. I just worry that 99% of people who see that tab will have no idea what it does and feel stupid.
  >
  > More little nitpicks:
  >
  > - Table view cells are still uselessly selectable. Is this not possible to turn off?
  > - Let's change the Close button to say "Cancel" to users can be assured that clicking it will leave their files untouched.
  > - The Insert Token button needs a downward-pointing arrow to indicate that it opens a menu. I know there's a way to get this automatically but I ran't remember what it is right now.
  > - `#ext` contains the dot and maybe shouldn't?
  >
  >   Still giving a +1 for moving this into KIO so Gwenview and Krusader can use it too if they'd like.
  >
  >   Again, truly excellent work. You should be very proud of this.

  Thanks for the kind words, Nate.

  Basically the table selection is the default one so it's not changed. I think the row selection may be useful just for highlighting some row you want to focus on but other than that it doesn't do much.

  Close to Cancel makes sense.

  Lastly, regarding the dot on `#ext`, that is by design, it will have a dot if the filename has an extension and be empty when there is no extension. Consider the following case:

  files to rename: `file1.tar.gz`, `anotherfile` and you wanted to rename it into `#name(%Y)#ext` which will result in `file1(2018).tar.gz` and `anotherfile2018`. If `#ext` didn't have the dot, you'd have to write `#name(%Y).#ext` which would produce  `file1(2018).tar.gz` and `anotherfile2018.` <- note the dot at the end here.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin