D12333: Put the open/save dialog's toolbar above all other widgets, like Dolphin does

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 19 17:14:41 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12333#249819 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12333#249819>, @rkflx wrote:

  > Thanks for looking into this. There is one way the "more ergonomic" might have been meant: When navigating in the file view, the distance for the mouse to travel to the navigation buttons is much shorter when they are directly above the file view, i.e. like they are currently in the file dialog, but not in Dolphin.

  Ah, this makes a lot of sense.

  > Also, if a patch refers to Celeste (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeste_Lyn_Paul), that's often a good indication that the decisions made there were investigated thoroughly ;)

  Wow, it's great that we had someone like her working  on KDE stuff. I see she's now at the U.S. Department of Defense now, whoa!

  > I'm not yet giving your patch a -1, but perhaps we should just see how the default dialog size and the toolbar content turn out in the end, maybe it turns out that we won't need to move the toolbar (and can even find a way to change Dolphin to be consistent :D

  If we change Dolphin, we need to solve the same problem here: the toolbar becomes too small and space becomes precious.

  Also IMHO it's a visual and consistency regression; in general toolbars span the whole horizontal width of the window, not just some of it. The presentation becomes muddy and awkward, especially given the lack of separators between elements in the standard breeze style. Things feel jumbled together and it's hard to tell where one thing ends and another begins (a separate issue in Breeze of course).

  Perhaps we could make the toolbar span the full width, but align things such that the navigation buttons are always over the view?

  Like this:

  F5813097: Very crude mockup.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5813097>

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO