D12333: Put the open/save dialog's toolbar above all other widgets, like Dolphin does

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 19 16:40:09 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12333#249352 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12333#249352>, @rkflx wrote:

  > Please add a mockup of how your final vision of the dialog looks like after all changes in  T8552 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8552> are done, in particular "Move the File Name field to the top of the window" and any toolbar additions. Otherwise it's really hard to judge an individual change like this.
  >
  > Also, as more and more things are added to the places panel, it might get a bit too short in the end, requiring too much scrolling?
  >
  > Another point would be to research why it looks like it does today. After all, in KDE3 we already had something like you are proposing right now, so changing it back yet again should come with a good reason.

  I did some spelunking, and here's where the layout was first changed: https://cgit.kde.org/kdelibs.git/commit/kfile/kfilewidget.cpp?h=Active/Two&id=1c850c60d4bbe2c838941ea1ffff787a6e4ddb6e

  It looks like the reason was to make the dialog "look better and more ergonomic". I'm not sure if I agree that making the toolbar not span the width of the top of the window actually accomplished this. I'm with Kai that consistency with Dolphin is important.

  it's true that this reduces the amount of space available for Places a bit, but that's a problem Dolphin has too, and it should be alleviated by many of the tasks in T8552: Polish Open/Save dialogs <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8552>. Also we could consider making the defauly size a tad bigger. They are really quite small right now.

  I'm willing to put "Move the File Name field to the top of the window, like GTK and Mac file pickers" on hold for now, or indefinitely. Your arguments in the meta-task were convincing.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO