D12337: Give the file dialogs a "Sort by" menu button on the toolbar

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 19 08:47:21 BST 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  I know you feel strongly about putting Sort functionality right in the face of users ;) Let me play the devil's advocate to work out whether another solution would be feasible too:

  - Introducing a new string to the UI comes at a cost: It draws attention away from what's really important, i.e. the files. I'm not saying sorting is not important, but is it really //that// important like you claim?
  - Why would only a single icon get text added next to it?
  - The text may be partly motivated by the lack of an appropriate icon. Shouldn't we improve the icons instead?
  - This conflicts with Detailed View, where some of the options are more easily accessible by clicking on the table headers. Isn't this confusing for users?

  Suggestion for consideration:

  - Add well-known <https://www.materialui.co/icon/sort> icon to Breeze.
  - Put only an icon in the toolbar, but still in a quite central place so it's within easy reach (as opposed to on the very right).
  - Solve the problem where toolbar menu buttons don't get a downwards pointing arrow with Breeze.

  F5812548: KIO-toolbar-sort-button.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5812548>

  I'd prefer this option, but let's hear what others have to say.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO