D11896: Show Information Panel button by default instead of the Preview button

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 3 18:58:15 BST 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  Then you should ask everyone in D7440 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D7440> if they are still okay with enabling previews by default if you remove the button at the same time.

  > we could have the thumbnailer produce a preview that's a zoomed-in section of the relevant part of the first page that has content

  Try adding some title pages of papers in Inkscape, then align them in a grid: You cannot see a thing, even with your proposal (which is //very// challenging to implement). IMO the concept of previews for files primarily containing text is broken. We can use this space for much more useful things (brainstorming a more useful meta-preview):

  - mimetype
  - primary background colour
  - aspect ratio of the first page
  - number of pages

  …which leads to some kind of grid view for documents with multiple pages, without the purpose of trying to squeeze in illegible text.

  For a useful preview I'd rather focus efforts on KLook…

  > previews aren't on for text files by default. Those were some of the compromises made to get the feature in.

  I'd not call those compromises, but sensible decisions. Not showing a preview for text files is quite similar to not showing a preview for ODTs containing mostly text (which they do for most users I've met).

  > With previews off, a file's icon remains the same no matter what app will open it, has has nothing visually in common with the app that will open it.

  That's not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that you can infer the mimetype from the icon (and thus the application, after using the system for a while), which does not work for thumbnails, because those can look similar for different mimetypes.

  > So you will generally have no idea what app your document will open with by default just by looking at its icon. macOS actually has the feature you want, and changes the icon to reflect what will open it for icons that don't have previews. I think that we //should// have this feature! But it shouldn't be limited to when previews are off: we could also badge the preview with an icon of that app that will open it, leapfrogging macOS in the learnability department.

  We already have those badges (mimetype icons only, for now) if you look closely. In KDE3 they had a size you could see them, now they are so tiny they are practically useless.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin