D11892: Don't override QDialogButtonBox::Yes text

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 2 22:35:45 BST 2018

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Sorry, I can't approve of this change. Button text should (almost) always use verbs instead of "Yes" or "No" because many users don't read the explanatory text, just the buttons. A Button that says "Quit" makes it clear what's about to happen if you didn't read the explanatory text; a button that says "Yes" does not.

  For evidence of this phenomenon and more information on the subject, see:

  - https://hackernoon.com/let-the-action-buttons-in-the-dialog-box-scream-its-outcome-b319c5efc698
  - http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003340.html
  - http://usabilitypost.com/2008/08/30/usability-tip-use-verbs-as-labels-on-buttons/
  - https://developer.apple.com/macos/human-interface-guidelines/buttons/push-buttons/
  - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742499(v=vs.85).aspx

  As for possible confusion over what' being "quit", I'm not sure that's a problem. Windows are //closed//; apps are //quit//. Our own menu items reflect this distinction and I don't think many users are confused by what's going to happen when they click a Quit button. If you think it's really a problem, we should make the button say "Quit Dolphin" instead of just "Quit."

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin