T8349: Improve Places panel usability and presentation

Scott Harvey noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 2 17:23:21 BST 2018

sharvey added a comment.

  In T8349#136090 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8349#136090>, @ngraham wrote:

  > If we wanted to make that change, IMHO the best way to do this would be to raise the default size of the icons to 32x32, at which point they automatically change to pretty colored icons, and the places entries themselves have nice large click targets, which improves usability.

  Big mouse targets are good things, but I don't think we can increase the size of the icons. My idea was more along the lines of taking the existing Breeze 16x16 icons and giving them a fill color instead of just an outline. I know it's only 16x16, but I've seen people pull off some pretty impressive pixel art. Nothing against the VDG team who designed Breeze, but I think we can add a little life to the 16x16 places icons. Even if it's just a simple fill, it would brighten up and modernize the Places panel.

  I've got some gripes with which icons are used for the Search listings - Breeze already has a better 16x16 "Documents" icon than the one that's currently used, for example. It's a more traditional "pages of paper" icon instead of the cryptic "staggered lines" symbol that's used now. Likewise, there must be a better choice for "Network" than that mysterious black box.

  I'm just throwing out wishlist ideas. I may tinker with Breeze (in a disposable virtual machine) and see if I can spruce things up without disrupting the entire universe.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T8349