D7446: Add a Recent Documents places item to Dolphin and file pickers by default

Mark Gaiser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 23 13:06:56 BST 2017

markg added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7446#148135, @ngraham wrote:

  > It seems odd to have all of these special KIO URLs that we don't actually want to use because they're rough and underdeveloped. They're rough and underdeveloped because they're hidden by default, so nobody sees them, and nobody files bugs or submits patches for them. But I do see your point.
  >
  > That said, the advantage to adding this as a Places item is that it shows up in file open/save dialogs for free, which is where it's most useful. If we make this into a whole new panel, we'll have to do a bunch of otherwise unnecessary special work to get it into open/save dialogs. I don't see the advantage.
  >
  > If the objection is that the content isn't useful (why does it show URLs?), then I can fix that too, but only if by doing so, folks will be amenable to adding a "Recent Documents" entry by default. It really is useful to have recent documents aggregated somewhere.

  Regarding the advantage in the file open/save dialog. It's only a advantage because the places panel is there by default.
  A recently used files/documents entry just doesn't belong in there (in my opinion).
  So you would have to add a second panel for that. It is the best looking way, but yeah, requires quite a bit more code changes.

  Recent documents just doesn't fit the open/save dialog imho. How useful is it to see the recently accessed files there? Not very. What you would want (and i would in fact like to have that) is a recent folders in open/save. That would be very useful! A IO slave for that does not exist.
  In dolphin a "recentfiles" panel would be interesting (i still wouldn't like it on by default..), but as it currently stands, no IO slave can currently do that. You would either have to "fix" recentdocuments to be that or make a new one.

  Also note that everything i said is merely my opinion. I'm not blocking you (i don't feel like i have the right to with my lack of contributions in recent years). If more people find it useful the way you intend it and if there is no comment on the code change then you are quite simply allowed to commit. But in this case you'd probably want to wait (or ask) for a few more opinions before making that decision. All i'm trying to do is provide constructive feedback :)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO