D7571: Enable modifying root-owned files in Dolphin

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 9 19:15:19 BST 2017

dfaure added a comment.

  Hmm. Emmanuel might have a point.
  Looking at KIO jobs usage, I see a lot that are user-triggered and would benefit from privilege-execution support.
  All of KIO's filewidgets library (filedialog etc.) obviously qualifies. KTextEditor for editing root-owned files, KParts for vieweing them, and then the same in most apps that use KIO to open and/or save files.

  One exception is KUrlCompletion where popups are annoying, but that's just a candidate for an opt-out flag.

  One thing however is that only one or two people tested this feature at this point, so I'm not 100% sure of the side effects on all apps (more precisely: finding out in which case we don't want privilege-execution to be available).
  Maybe we can have it in committed "on by default" (opt-out) now, to test it heavily for 3 weeks (before the next KF5 release) so we can re-evaluate before the release (and turn it off by default if we find out it should be).

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin