D7571: Enable modifying root-owned files in Dolphin

Emmanuel Pescosta noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 6 22:55:35 BST 2017

emmanuelp added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7571#142637, @dfaure wrote:

  > An application copying some config file in the background (or any other internal file operation) shouldn't bother the user with prompts.

  The same happens e.g. when overwriting an existing file in the background.
  Such applications explicitly handle such cases to avoid prompts (e.g. by setting the overwrite flag or by prohibiting any user interaction).

  > In case of Dolphin yes it means modifying many lines

  I was generally speaking. I think that the opt-in approach will lead to annoying inconsistencies (even within an application e.g. when someone forgets to add the `KIO::PrivilegeExecution` flag in newly added code).
  Some applications like Dolphin will allow privileged operations while others (e.g. Plasma, Krusader, ...) don't (if not patched). This is bad from a user point of view.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin