D6281: Prevent folders from drag and dropping onto themselves in dolphin main view

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 25 23:26:37 BST 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6281#157668, @rkflx wrote:

  > I can still reproduce:
  >
  > - Enable Preferences > Navigation > Open folders during drag operations
  > - Drag folder onto itself, drop **before folder is opened**
  > - Even though folder is not moved onto itself, it is entered (without the patch we would only get a `KMessageWidget` without entering the folder).

  Unfortunately, this problem is still not fixed with the latest iteration (and probably unrelated to the build fix).

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6281#157668, @rkflx wrote:

  > (Note: Without the patch you are allowed to at least select Copy after descending the folder hierarchy via dragging. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, i.e. whether we should disable descending completely here or just fix the folder opening on its own after an invalid drop.)

  As this patch is about replacing the `KMessageWidget` with a do-not-enter cursor, we probably should not change the behaviour too, so I guess descending is still wanted and additional changes should go in an extra patch.

  (That said, it is still arguably how much of a power user feature copying directories into themselves is and whether Dolphin should allow it. While people on Stackoverflow are asking for this, it would only make sense if a list of all files to copy is made beforehand, so this does not result in a recursive loop – which KIO does already? Also note how Dolphin currently forbids copying `A` to `A/A` and only allows copying `A` to `A/A/A`, which seems strange.)

  ---

  @emateli You can use Spectacle's Delay option for that, BTW.