D7446: Add a Recent Documents places item to Dolphin and file pickers by default

Mark Gaiser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 12 18:31:58 BST 2017

markg added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7446#154617, @ngraham wrote:

  > @markg, I strongly disagree that "recent files" are not useful in open/save dialogs.
  >
  > As I've mentioned before, a common use case that this enables is when you save an item from one program and need to open it in another without having a Dolphin window open that shows it. One example is attaching files to websites. You just go to the "Recent files" entry in the Open window and voila, your latest saved file is right there on the top. It's a super fast workflow.
  >
  > There is a reason why "Recent items" is a default entry in the file manager and open/save dialogs in macOS and GNOME. They didn't add it for no good reason.

  As you seem eager to compare against others who do have it. How about others who don't. That's for instance XFCE with Thunar, it doesn't have that.
  Windows 7 had is partly, called "Recent places" which only lists folders, not files.
  Windows 10 doesn't have it.
  macOS finder - contrary to what you keep telling here - does not show recent documents or folders by default.

  All of the above is for the main applications. I'm not entirely sure about the file/folder open dialogs.

  The only way i could find this convenient is if it were by context and the file open dialog boxes only. What i mean by that is when you get a file open dialog box and need to select a file then having the recently used files in there might be neat.
  But by default in dolphin' main view in the favorites section... No, that doesn't seem the appropriate place.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO