Developing a new KIO Slave (GSoC 2016)

Arnav Dhamija arnav.dhamija at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:10:18 GMT 2016

Thank you for the email. Some peculiarities of the File Tray include new
context menu options and the option to directly add files by simply
dragging it to the File Tray directory view. While the implementation
using Tags with modifications would certainly work (and is a very good
idea for making this much simpler!), I'm not sure if relying on tags and
filter options will cater to all the unique needs of the File Tray as
the File Tray requires its own Places panel option. By my understanding,
when items are dragged into the File Tray, the tags will be
automatically updated to include it. Maybe the panel for the File Tray
could simply be a filter of all the directories which are tagged to it?
The idea using the clipboard doesn't appeal to me too much however, as
drag and drop-ability to the File Tray is a feature I am keen on
implementing.

The thinking behind using KIO Slaves was because it would make it much
easier to create a Plasmoid to take care of such a role and other KDE
applications such as Konqueror can also benefit from such a feature.
Dolphin's Split view would instantly be easy to incorporate. Context
menu options and more features can also be added this way. Of course,
the cost of these benefits would be a more challenging approach to
programming the application.

On Thursday 21 January 2016 07:48 PM, Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:30:18 AM Luca Ferrari wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Arnav Dhamija <arnav.dhamija at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> My solution to this problem is to add a Places option in Dolphin where the
>>> links to files and folders can be temporarily saved for a session. The
>>> files and folders are "staged" on this panel. Files can be added to this
>>> tray by using a right-click context menu option, using the mouse scroll
>>> click, or drag and drop. As an additional option, the session for the
>>> File Tray Panel can be saved for later use. Hence, complex file
>>> operations such as moving files across many devices can be made easy by
>>> staging the operation before performing it.
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your proposal, but the first thing that
>> comes into my mind is to build this feature on top of tags: assign a
>> special tag to files in different locations and then filter by tags,
>> copy, paste (and optionally remove the special tag).
> +1. Exactly my thought.
>
> This is a common way to organize your image galleries. Digikam has great
> support for this kind of usage scenario.
>
> You first go through an arbitrary list of images (not necessarily in the same
> directory), label each of them as you wish (I think Digikam offers Alt+{1,2,3}
> shortcuts), and then just filter by label and do the move operation.
>
> I don't see why this particular feature needs a dedicated KIO slave.
>
> Greets,
> Kevin
>
>> Another approach, less intuitive, could be to use the clipboard
>> content: if you select "copy" from right click menu on one file at
>> time, without pasting it, the clipboard content stores the selected
>> files. You can then pop from the clipboard all the "mark for copy"
>> files later.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Luca

arnav dhamija