Moving the logic to use .directory files into kio?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Jun 4 17:09:08 BST 2015

Hi,

I sometimes get user requests that it would be lovely if Folder
View would default to using Dolphin's per-folder view settings.

Since it's quite complex code (the timestamp comparison, the look-
aside hierarchy in ~/.local, ...) it would be insane to duplicate
that code in Folder View, along with bad layering (the master
timestamp being in dolphinrc, etc.).

I wonder if we should attempt to factor all of this out and put
it into KIO, so both Dolphin and FV could use it. We would have
to keep using the [Dolphin] groups for compatibility reasons but
try to migrate the master timestamp to kiorc ...

The View Properties dialog should likely be moved to KIO then
as well -- this aligns with making Dolphin and FV using the same
context menu code, which unfortunately stalled a while ago.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Eike