Dolphin Optical Disk context menu - "Release" function?

Bernard Gray bernard.gray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 06:57:00 BST 2015

Hi All,
I maintain an in-house live distribution based on Ubuntu 14.04.
For some of our satellite branches, we still use optical disks for the boot
media, with a copy-to-ram occuring during the initramfs process. This
copy-to-ram process allows us to free up the optical drive for normal usage
after boot -

An issue we're experiencing though, is that after boot if I eject the
optical disc drive, remove the boot disc and put a new data disc in - this
data disc appears in the list of devices, normally, lets me choose a normal
action to execute on it, but it appears empty when I try to browse it (or
do anything with it).

In order to make the contents of the disc visible, I have to right click on
the optical disc icon in Dolphin, and choose "Release <disc name>"
http://imgur.com/K0NLKBY

Then I can browse the disc fine.

My question is, what does this Release function do, and how can I execute
that release as part of my boot process (ie outside of KDE) so I don't have
to pass this non-intuitive step onto my users?

I've dived into the dolphin source to try and get a handle on what is
happening, but I don't have the Qchops to work out where the slot for that
signal gets implemented - hence the question for this list.

Thanks for any help,

Bernard Gray