porting konqueror to KF5

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Sun Jan 4 08:58:52 GMT 2015

Excerpts from David Faure's message of 2015-01-03 14:23:38 +0100:
> On Tuesday 30 December 2014 10:31:09 Stefano Crocco wrote:
> > Hello to everyone,
> > some time ago I wrote a blog post [1] asking for someone willing to maintain
> > konqueror or, at least, to port it to KF5>
>
> No, I'm the one who wrote it :-)

Sorry, of course I meant "I read". I can't really imagine how I managed to type
"wrote".

> > I was wondering what's the situation now (the blog post was written in
> > August).
>
> I ported konqueror itself, but there are other bits that need porting.
>
> konqueror/client
> konqueror/preloader
> konq-plugins/* (except fsview which I ported recently, and which you could use
> as an example for the other plugins)
>
> There's also konqueror/sidebar, but this one is much harder and might need a
> rewrite, because it has Qt3Support code. Maybe rather rethink what the GUI
> should be, for that part....
>
> Getting started is very easy:
> 1) compile KF5 as per
> https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building
> up to kde-baseapps.
>
> 2) uncomment one of the commented out subdirs in the parent CMakeLists.txt
>
> 3) now you're getting compilation errors ;)
> Use the scripts from kde-dev-scripts.git subdir kf5. adapt_cmakelists_file.pl
> is the first one that's useful...
> And use https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes as well as the
> deprecation notes in the api docs, to find out what to port to.
> Look at ecdcb054b2cef6946400f3fe87c719f86bd8625e for what I had to do in the
> fsview subdir, I suspect things will be similar for other plugins.
>
> 4) upload the patch to reviewboard, adding me as reviewer.
>
> Have fun !

Thanks for the information. I didn't notice there were pieces which hadn't been
ported. I'll start working on them. Just one thing. Since my distribution
provides packages for the git version of the frameworks, would it be all right
to use them instead of using kdesrc-build?

Thanks

Stefano