MTP, libgphoto2 & KFM

Damon Lynch damonlynch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 11:47:08 GMT 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 3:00 AM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, this is the limitation of libmtp. There is no
> "mount" for mtp in kio, it's just a standalone kio process talking to
> it. As you can see, even for gvfs it is possible that you need to
> manually kill some process.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/libmtp/code/ci/master/tree/README#l165
>
> Kill the kio process of mtp might help to release the device.

The point is that there is no way for the user to do this, either through
the GUI or even the command line. The developer of a non-KDE app that wants
to access the device that KIO has exclusive control over has to tell the
KDE user "shut down any application that might have touched the MTP
device".

By contrast, Gnome provides a virtual unmount function, which they expose
to the user through an eject/unmount button in Gnome Files, through the
command line, and through the GIO API.