Baloo File API Changes

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Oct 14 11:56:46 BST 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Emmanuel Pescosta <
emmanuelpescosta099 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vishesh,
>
> >  You cannot modify anything.
> > Baloo::FileModifyJob is no more.
>
> Hmm, so we can't implement tagging via context menu or interactive rating
> in the view for example? (I'm looking forward to some possible features in
> a Dolphin qml/qtquick world ;)
>
> Will the UserMetaData class be public/exported, so we can use it instead
> of the modify job?

Yup.

Baloo is also going to be using the same API to fetching the
tags/rating/comments in order to index them. Baloo-widgets is using it for
setting the tags. The API is synchronous since it is mostly a Qt wrapper on
top of system calls. The initial draft of the API has been published for
5.1 in KFileMetaData. Perhaps you could give some input?

> > From a Dolphin point of view, a synchronous API isn't that bad since
> this was only being called for one file at a time.
>
> I think we should change one file at a time to a batch of files in the
> future.
>
> The synchronous API is ok for Dolphin.
> I want to change the additional info fetching in future anyway (needs some
> time because I will do some experiments first and talk to other Dolphin
> devs about my idea) - with threading support and one interface for
> everything (version control, cloud sync, baloo, directory size det. and
> other role providers).

Sounds good.

Currently the Baloo::File class has a load() function which would block for
a short amount of time, depending on how slow your disk is.

> > I would like to split that into usermetadataroleprovider and
> balooroleprovider.
>
> Sounds good, a perfect use case for my idea ;)

Cool.

Then, I'll start polishing up the branch and submit review requests for
Dolphin.

--
Vishesh Handa