AppSteam file for Dolphin

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 14:58:18 BST 2014

Hi,

> Hello Frank,
> should we add the AppStream file from
> https://github.com/ximion/kde-appstream-metadata-templates/blob/master/apps/dolphin.appdata.xml
> to the Dolphin repo?
>
> http://blog.tenstral.net/2014/05/want-appstream-metadata-for-your-kde-project-act-now.html

since most of the work has been done already, there is probably no
good reason not to do it.

> If yes, I'll open a review request and I'll also create a new screenshot of
> Dolphin. (How can I upload it to kde.org/images?)

Hm, yes, the screenshot in the file looks quite outdated. We should
create a new one.

Moreover, the file also contains a link to the website which has not
been updated since 2 years [1]. Putting much effort into the website
does not make much sense IMHO because I do not think that many people
will find Dolphin via its website. Moreover, we already have the
userbase page [2] which can be easily edited by anyone, and which is
also translated into many languages. Duplicating some of that
information at dolphin.kde.org, which can be accessed only by few, and
which is not translated, does not make much sense IMHO.

Maybe dolphin.kde.org should just show a recent screenshot and very
little else, maybe a link to the userbase page and the forum? We could
then use the same screenshot for the AppStream file.

Cheers,
Frank

[1] http://dolphin.kde.org/

[2] http://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin