idea for gsoc

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:09:55 GMT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Frank Reininghaus <
frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
> >>
> >> For example: initially a list of video files within a folder. After
> >> viewing some of them, user wishes to divide them according to
> >> seen/important/tobe reviwed so that he can later see the videos which
> are
> >> left or review them.
> >>
> >> I have attached a template [2] where User can divide them into multiple
> >> section as per his need and name them.
> >> For example: here files are divided into 3 sections: Seen , To be
> reviewed
> >> and Important within the same folder..
> >>
> >> There is another way to solve to this problem ( As is a feature in ALL
> >> FILES in MAC OS ).Where as described above the files of the folders( in
> this
> >> case: Seen, Not Seen, To be reviewed)within a particular folder(Videos)
> can
> >> be viewed Row wise/ Column wise in that single window.But I think that
> would
> >> be difficult to accommodate in case of large number of folders.(attached
> >> template for this was too big too send)
> >>
> >> This will also helps us :
> >>
> >> 1) It is easier to compare files when working on a project: files seen,
> >> important or to be reviewed.Each sections will have a name, so even if
> we
> >> visit folder after a long time, we can proceed from where we left.
> >>
> >> 2) Also it is easy to move a file from one section to other. You are
> >> changing the file section rather than moving from one folder to other.
> It
> >> also saves us from creating large number of folders within folders.
> Thus,
> >> managing folders become easy within a project.

> multiple
> in one

> list

> we

> category)

> "All
> them.
> helping

> > I can't comment in the appropriateness or desirability of such a feature,
> > but I do have some suggestions:
>
> I think that one might to discuss the appropriateness and desirability
> of the feature(s) with the usability team, but after taking into
> account what features are available already, and maybe also
> considering what technologies would be used to implement anything new
> on top of that.
>
> > 1. This seems to conflate multiple, largely independent features,
> > specifically:
> >
> > A. The ability to create named virtual folders, probably pointing to
> > something like a tag, and being able to add files and folders to this
> > virtual folder by drag-and-drop.  This is similar to Windows libraries.
> This
> > is probably best handled by baloo.
>
> Yes, indeed. In particular the "Seen, Not Seen, To be reviewed"
> example looks a lot like this could be solved with tags.

It could use tags, or some other sort of baloo metadata.  If we are going
the route of something like Windows libraries, it may be better to use a
separate metadata field in order to better separate the two.  I don't know,
I am just leaving the possibility open.  That is something that should be
addressed in the application, and if accepted this is one of the things
that needs to be decided.

> > B. An extension of the existing categorized view that allows users to
> move
> > files and folders to other carriers via drag-and-drop. This capability,
> of
> > course, would only apply to categories where it makes sense (which would
> > include the groups from A, but possibly other things like tags as well).
> >
> > C. The ability to sort and categorize files and folders by their
> inclusion
> > in the groups from A.
>
> This is possible already, isn't it? One can sort the files in a folder
> by their tags and enable "Show in Groups". Assigning tags by dragging
> and dropping files inside the view is not possible though.

It is currently possible if tags are used.  But I didn't want to
specifically require that tags be used, it just needs to be some sort of
baloo metadata.