idea for gsoc

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:36:47 GMT 2014

On Mar 17, 2014 11:32 PM, "Pramiti Goel" <pramitigoel20 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For example: initially a list of video files within a folder. After
viewing some of them, user wishes to divide them according to
seen/important/tobe reviwed so that he can later see the videos which are
left or review them.

> I have attached a template [2] where User can divide them into multiple
section as per his need and name them.
> For example: here files are divided into 3 sections: Seen , To be
reviewed and Important within the same folder..

> There is another way to solve to this problem ( As is a feature in ALL
FILES in MAC OS ).Where as described above the files of the folders( in
this case: Seen, Not Seen, To be reviewed)within a particular
folder(Videos) can be viewed Row wise/ Column wise in that single
window.But I think that would be difficult to accommodate in case of large
number of folders.(attached template for this was too big too send)

> This will also helps us :
>
> 1) It is easier to compare files when working on a project: files seen,
important or to be reviewed.Each sections will have a name, so even if we
visit folder after a long time, we can proceed from where we left.

> 2) Also it is easy to move a file from one section to other. You are
changing the file section rather than moving from one folder to other. It
also saves us from creating large number of folders within folders. Thus,
managing folders become easy within a project.

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Pramiti Goel <pramitigoel20 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I wish to propose a method to simplify the process of working on
multiple files by
>> minimizing the use of creating multiple folders only for the purpose of
categorization (explained below) so that all the files can be viewed in one
single folder but
>> categorized as per need.
>>
>> I wish to propose a NEW File manager "VIEW" in Dolphin(like list/grid)
>> Several times, while working on multiple documents or files or folders
>> simultaneously for
>> a) Projects
>> b) While studying
>> c) Doing analysis from multiple files simultaneously
>> d) Bug and making patch for particular section of code
>>
>> We categorize/arrange these files as per our need according to their
>> a) priority of work
>> b) quality of contents of files
>> c) work done , work pending or work completed
>> d) in music folders, as per our liking
>> e) division on bases of old/new files in different panes rather than
list view

>> by creating multiple folders & giving these folders the names of the
categories.
>> Several times to we wish to analyze our work or see all the available
files
>> simultaneously (for eg. While studying).
>>
>> For this we have to open multiple folders one by one or all folders
parallely on one
>> screen which is tedious, time consuming and less efficient. Many times
we create
>> multiple copies of a single file ( if that file is needed in every
category folders)
>> leading to redundancy and memory wastage. It increases tree level
hierarchy i.e.
>> folder within folder.
>>
>> To solve these problems and simplify the process of viewing multiple
related files
>> simultaneously I wish to add a NEW FILE MANAGER VIEW.
>> In this view, the user can divide his working directory into multiple
sections (which
>> was earlier done by creating folders and naming them as per the
category) as per
>> his need & name them accordingly.
>>
>> These sections can be represented in a single window by demarcating
different
>> areas to each category.
>> By default the files can be allotted to a default category (for ex. "All
files"). The user can then simply drag the files into the region of the
desired category to allot a particular category.
>> The category can be changed as per need by dragging it into the area of
another
>> category.
>> User can create 4 to 5 sections within a single windowpane and name
them. This
>> name can be descriptive.
>> This view will remain same whenever the user revisits the view for this
folder giving an advantage over creating/opening multiple folders & helping
to review all the files at one go.

>> MAC OS provides coloured tags to give users an option to separate files
as per
>> category. That also doesn't solve the problem of viewing all files at
once.

I can't comment in the appropriateness or desirability of such a feature,
but I do have some suggestions:

1. This seems to conflate multiple, largely independent features,
specifically:

A. The ability to create named virtual folders, probably pointing to
something like a tag, and being able to add files and folders to this
virtual folder by drag-and-drop.  This is similar to Windows libraries.
This is probably best handled by baloo.

B. An extension of the existing categorized view that allows users to move
files and folders to other carriers via drag-and-drop. This capability, of
course, would only apply to categories where it makes sense (which would
include the groups from A, but possibly other things like tags as well).

C. The ability to sort and categorize files and folders by their inclusion
in the groups from A.

D. A new categorized view.

2. You don't demonstrate that you have done much research or have much
knowledge regarding which KDE frameworks you would or could leverage to
implement your proposal, not to mention provide a detailed explanation of
how you intend to implement it.  I think it is important to not only know
what you want to do, but also be able to explain, at least in a general
sense, how you plan to do it.

3. Because you are really proposing multiple, largely independent tasks, I
think it would be beneficial to make clear what benefits would be left if
you only finished some of your proposed tasks.