Review Request 106827: Fix Bug 304643 - selected place looks ugly and incomplete

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 29 20:20:14 BST 2014

Hi,

Just implemented that: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/119018/

> IMHO we should use the whole view width in Details View to draw the
> rectangles so that it is more consistent with the other view types,
> because they include the additional information. (and it looks better :P)

Note that the "selection rectangle" should be consistent with the
clickable area for the items. If the rectangle takes the whole width
of the view, then there would be no space left for clearing the
selection with a single mouse click.

>> What do others think?
> I think it looks good, something unique in the world of file managers. ;)
>
> But:
> I'm a little bit afraid about widget styles != Oxygen, because the current
> item list widget uses the style to draw the primitive. If we change it to a
> custom
> "rect" painting, how will Dolphin integrate with other widget styles? We
> need our own draw primitive method which follows the widget style and which
> takes a painting path, right?

Thanks - that's a good point. I'm not sure what the best way to
resolve this problem is.

> The next thing is, what should be drawn with the new style? Only items in
> icon view
> mode or also items in compact view mode? We should keep it consistent
> between the
> different view types.
>
> How should we deal with additional data? Should we take the maximum width of
> all text lines
> and draw a "rect" behind the text or should we keep the border as tight
> around the text as possible?

You are right, I had not thought of the additonal information at all.
It seems that resolving this issue is indeed more complicated than I
thought :-(

Thanks and best regards,
Frank