[KDE] Volonteer to maintain Dolphin and improve it

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:29:13 BST 2014

Hi Mathieu,

> Hello,
>
> I contact you because I would like to dive serioulsy into KDE
> development this summer.
>
> I would like to work on Dolphin, because it's a core component
> of a standard KDE desktop, so every one is using it.

thank you for your initerest in improving Dolphin! Please send all
questions concerning the development of Dolphin to our mailing list,
where everything is discussed.

> Therefore, it should contain the fewer bugs as possible.

I fully agree :-)

> Are you the actual maintainer ?

Yes.

> Could you please iontroduce me to Dolphin hacking ? I mean
> explain the source code tree, how to build it and test it.

I posted some basic information about Dolphin's development some time
ago at http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/how-to-get-started-with-dolphin-development/
. Most of it should still be accurate.

There are several ways to build Dolphin from source. If you want to
build the entire KDE source tree yourself, then it is recommented to
use kdesrc-build, http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/

If you want to build just Dolphin, you have to install the kdelibs
development packages provided by your distro. You can then download
Dolphin from http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-baseapps.git and build it:

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kde-baseapps.git
cd kde-baseapps
mkdir build && cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/where/dolphin/should/be/installed
make && make install

Concerning the source code tree, I would suggest that you ask anything
that is unclear while you browse the source here on the mailing list.

Thanks again and best regards,
Frank