Dolphin for Plasma Next?

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Tue Feb 18 13:45:17 GMT 2014

> Could you elaborate on what sorts of things you want to discuss? I
> understand that your group is working on ideas for the future look of
> the KDE/Plasma desktop (whatever the final name will be), including
> the applications. However, most of what you can see in Dolphin's UI is
> provided by the styles and by widgets from kdelibs (or frameworks, in
> the future), and I think that this should not change - consistency
> with other KDE applications is very important IMHO. So anything that
> you want to change about Dolphin's look would probably apply to other
> applications as well, right?

That is the plan - the way changes will happen is kinda in the hands of the
Plasma Devs and not us so we want to talk to all the "basic applications in
the desktop" people one-on-one and then sketch up ideas, get them past the
HIG-gang to get intput and changes and then throw it past you again.

The issue is that Dolphin has plenty of fiddly details that could be changed
to better fit the style but also the HIG guidelines - but that's hingent on
what you guys prefer. If its "no, just edit the style and Dolphin will change
with it" that's all fair and good of course :)
But there are some ideas cropping up for you guys and Kmail and other "basic
applications" that might be good to pass by you.

The issue with a mailing list is that most of us don't use them - a majority
hold the fort in a google plus group and a private forum - so the back and
forth may be a tad trickier depending on reactions to mockups.

But whatever fells your timber in this case :)

So what do you think?

/Jens