Bookmarks for Accretion

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 20:01:34 GMT 2014

Hi,

I think this is the very first time that i (ab)use this list for a
file manager other then Dolphin. Luckily this list is called kfm-devel
and not dolphin-devel so i think i can get away with it ^_-

Right, bookmarks!

Accretion currently looks like this [1]. The places and devices are
currently very hard coded [2]. Doing this made me look into the
bookmarks used in Dolphin and how i can integrate them in Accretion.
I've spotted a few possible issues that would prevent me from using
the current bookmarks.xml or even the XBEL specification.

1. The current bookmarks configuration files don't seem to be owned by
dolphin since it's placed in:
"<home>./.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml" and
"<home>./.local/share/user-places.xbel". But they do seem to be
created and managed by dolphin (thus effectively owned by it). Also,
Dolphin injects some default bookmarks if nepomuk is active. The
bookmarks as they are now are quite Dolphin specific. I "could" use
them, but don't know if i should.

2. The XBEL specification seems to be a full fledged bookmark managing
system for browsers. Not a system to make menus (which this is, we
just call it bookmarks). That also made me wonder if i should use the
XBEL specification at all (and KBookmarks to handle it) or should i
make a very simple new "menu format" in json specifically aimed at my
needs?

What would be your preference?
My initial preference was going to 1 and show the bookmarks in
Accretion that are visible in Dolphin. That would be the least
intrusive way from a user point of view, but would also make me
dependent on Frank not changing the format :)

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,
Mark

[1] http://s27.postimg.org/n6ocbmgub/accretion_with_menu.png